Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chocolate Sorbet Recipe

New Jersey’s July heat and humidity coupled with Chocolate fanatic cravings has finally met its match. 
I was “jonesing” for chocolate on a hot summer afternoon, but I didn’t have cream in the pantry and then I stumbled on this Chocolate Sorbet recipe in David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop.  I replaced a small portion of the water with strong coffee because I believe that coffee and a pinch of salt really intensify the chocolate experience.
This is a supper easy frozen treat that you should try soon.  Rich dark and decadent with the added plus of a creamy undertone from the melted chocolate, this sorbet should not be missed.  Run into your kitchen now and whip it up!
I bet you don’t even need an Ice cream maker.  I would try freezing in a shallow pan and scrapping with a fork granita style. 







Chocolate Sorbet  Recipe
Serves : 1 quart   8 servings                Prep Time:   10 minutes                        Cook Time: 30 minutes plus
INGREDIENTS
2 cups water
¼ cup strong black coffee
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ( I used Ghirardelli Chocolate brand)
Pinch of salt
6 ounces  dark chocolate, finely chopped ( I used Trader Joes dark chocolate0
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan whisk together 1 1/4 cups of the water and ¼ cup coffee with the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Let it boil, continuing to whisk, for 45- 60 seconds.
Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until it’s melted, then add in the vanilla extract and the remaining 3/4 cup water. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend for 15 seconds.  Chill the mixture thoroughly, and then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  I used the Cuisanart machine and churned for ½ hour and then frozen in freezer to harden for 4 hours.   


No comments:

Post a Comment