Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tomato Curry Soup with Cumin, Cinnamon & Honey


I stumbled across this soup recipe today on Dinner Tonight as I scanned the what's cooking links on the side of this page.  It sounded perfect for my dinner tonight. The outside temperature dropped quickly today from high 60s to  mid 40s as a cold front moved into the region to push out the rain.  Soup was just what I needed to warm my bones. 

A quick scan of the ingredients revealed that I had all of them on hand in the pantry.  Just the stress free meal I needed for a work night when I am on my own.  (No telling when the youths will eat.)  Thank you Blake for a wonderful suggestion. 
The soup was simple to prepare and had nice curry undertones.  I will definitely make this soup again and play more with the seasonings.  Toasted almond slices or pumkpin seeds would make an interesting garnish. 

I served it alongside a simple egg quesadillas that I will post soon. 















Tomato Curry Soup with Cumin, Cinnamon & Honey Recipe
Serves :    3                                              Prep Time:  10 min                                 Cook Time: 30 min
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 28-ounce can tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons honey
Juice of ½ lemon juice
2 tablespoons sweet Thai chile sauce
Salt to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic chopped
Greek yogurt for garnish

DIRECTIONS
In a heavy soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and ginger and cook until soft,  about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until tomatoes are very soft, 15-20 minutes. Puree until smooth, and stir in honey, lemon juice, chile sauce, and salt to taste.  Adjust flavor, as needed.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, add cherry tomatoes and cook until soft and skins have begun to split. Add remaining garlic and cook for an additional few minutes. Serve soup with cherry tomato garnish and yogurt


No comments:

Post a Comment