Saturday, March 12, 2011

Short Ribs – Braised in Belgium Style Ale Recipe

This recipe uses strips of short ribs cut across 4 short rib bones.  I found the recipe in the Zuni Café cookbook and it reminded me of one of my favorite beef and Stout stew.  Once I realized that my Trader Joe Holiday Vintage Ale was from the Unibroue Brewery in Canada mentioned as a source in the recipe, I was sold. 
One quick stop to my local BJ’s for the ribs and I was on my way.  I made only slight adjustments to the recipe; including using fresh sliced Baby Bella mushrooms along with the dried mushrooms and increasing the quantities to serve 4- 6. 
It was good, but didn’t wow me like my regular short rib recipe.  (I’ll post short ribs soon without photos and update with photos next time I make it.)   It is similar to my Beef Stout stew, and I did like the complexity that the Dijon gave it.  Maybe next time I will try as a pot roast or brisket finishing off under broiler with mustard. 
Prep notes: 
Two days in advance, trim all fat you can, leaving the silver skin on the bones to keep stripes whole during cooking.  Then the ribs were rubbed in 1 tablespoon of kosher salt covered loosely and placed in frig to dry age.   (3/4 tsp per lb.)

Print This Recipe

Recipe for:  Zuni Short Ribs Braised in Belgium Style Ale
Serves: 4-6
INGREDIENTS
3 1/2 to 4 lbs Beef Short ribs, cut across bone-trimmed and salted with 1 Tbsp kosher salt 2 days in advance
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
 3-4 Large Yellow onions cut 1/4 inch thick
2 Bay leaves
7-8 whole white peppercorns
Small handful dried mushrooms – rinsed in water and chopped
½ lb sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
1 cup Beef Stock & 1 cup Chimay Ale – to fill pan ¾ cover of ribs
6 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
DIRECTIONS
Two days in advance, trim all fat you can, leaving the silver skin on the bones to keep stripes whole during cooking.  Then the ribs were rubbed in 1 tablespoon of kosher salt covered loosely and placed in refrigerator to dry age.   (3/4 tsp per lb.)
Warm the oil in a 12 inch skillet (with cover) over medium heat.  Wipe your meat dry, and then brown on the three meaty sides about 4 minutes per side.  Pour off excess fat.
Rearrange meat bone side down in the pan.  Add the onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, mushrooms, and equal parts stock and Chimay ale.  Watch how much liquid you add carefully, it should only reach a depth of about 3/4 inch to your 2 inch ribs. 
Bring to a simmer, cover and place in 300 to 325 F oven about 2 to 2 ½ hours.  Meat is done when fork tender.  When done, prop the pan uncovered at a slight angle and let rest for 5 minutes. 
Turn on Broiler.
Skim the fat that has collected (reason for angling pan).  Season the remaining juice as needed.  Then brush each short ribs with 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard, I pushed aside the onions as needed.  And place the pan under the broiler about 5 inches from the element, to brown the mustard and glaze the remaining onion stem about 5 minutes. 
I served with Crash Potatoes and first course of Apple, Fennel, and Walnut Salad.  It would be good with noodles or potatoes as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment