Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pickled Roasted Red Peppers


I been making Deb’s pickled garlicky red peppers from Smitten Kitchen for some time.  I love refrigerator pickles and these are the best I have found.  Deb recommends using within a week, but I get much longer refrigerator life by sterilizing jars with 5 minutes full boil in microwave and boiling caps in pot for 5 minutes too.  I have made only slight changes to the recipe.  I use 10 cloves of garlic and will use only half a recipe of pickling liquid for 10 large red peppers.  I can pack 5 peppers torn into 4 or 5 strips into two 26 ounce glass jars.  I save extra picking liquid in a sterilized jar and usually have enough for another batch of 5 or 6 peppers.  
My guys use these peppers go on everything.  Roast Turkey, Cheese and these peppers on a wrap is their go to favorite.  Look for these peppers to show up in a lot of my future recipes.  They are a staple in my house. 

note :  The picture also shows preserved lemons.  I will post the recipe in an upcoming post.

Print This Recipe

Recipe for: Pickled Roasted Red Peppers

Serves: 20  -- 2 * 1 quart jars 

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar

1 ½ cups water

1/3 cup sugar

2 ½ tablespoons kosher salt (diamond crystal brand – read here for differences to morton’s kosher measurement)

10 bell peppers, all red or a mix of red, orange and yellow (the sweet varieties)

10 large cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped

DIRECTIONS

Roast the peppers: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line peppers on a large baking sheet and roast them for 45 minutes, turning them once, or until they are soft.  Or, roast on gas bbq grill with top down all burners set to med high.  Check for turning after 5 minutes.   The skins will only come off easily if they’re fully cooked so err on longer time. 

Prepare pickling liquid: Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a boil in nonreactive microwave container.  I use my large glass Pyrex measuring cup, stirring after 3 minutes, continue until sugar is dissolved. Cool while prepping jars. 

Starting with clean from dishwasher, microwave safe, jars filled to tippy top with water, place in microwave on high for 10 minutes.  Water should be boiling after 5 minutes.  At same time, put lids into clean saucepan filled with boiling water and boil for at least 5 minutes.  I also boil a fork to use to help pack peppers. (Read up on proper sterilization techniques for pickling.  These are my shortcuts that work well for pickles that will be stored under refrigeration. )

Once peppers are roasted place the peppers directly into a large bowl and cover with a lid or plate or place in large brown bag with top folded over, trapping the steam inside. In 15- 20minutes, they should be cooled, and their skins should be easy to remove. If not, give it another 10 or 15 minutes to rest.

I use thin stream of cold tap water to help get skins, seeds and ribs removed from peppers. 

Once all of the peppers are skinned, seeded and ribs removed, tear the peppers into strips and pack into jars intermingling layers with some chopped garlic.  Pour the pickling liquid over the peppers. 

Tap jar to remove air bubbles,(use sterile fork if needed to move peppers to un-trap air).  Fill jars to rim with liquid.  Chill the peppers for at least one day.   While good after one day, I find the flavor is best after 5 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment