Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Barbari Bread Pizza



I stumbled across a loaf of barbari bread at my local market next to the fresh pitas.  Having never seen this style of bread before, I was intrigued.  With lunch time approaching quickly, I was inspired to try the bread as a pizza crust. 

Wow. It was great.  Similar to a Sicilian style pizza but the crust is lighter and slightly crisper. This was not a recipe that I planned to record, but the results were so good, I wanted capture it.  I did manage to take one photo of the finished pizza. . .
After a little research, I discovered that Barbari bread is traditional Persian bread from Tehran, usually served for breakfast with tea and cheese or yogurt.  I found this recipe for the bread which seems to mimic the bread appearance and the ingredients list for the loaf I purchased.  




Barbari Bread Pizza Recipe  
Serves :  3 -4                                                Prep Time: 5 min                                  Cook Time: 10 min
INGREDIENTS
One Loaf Barbari bread
½ pound Mozzarella Cheese
1/8 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
¾ cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
1 sliced tomato or topping of your choice
Big pinch of oregano, crushed red pepper, salt pepper
One clove garlic minced

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 450° F. Mix spices and garlic into crushed tomatoes.  Spread over surface of Barbari bread.  Top with Mozzarella cheese.  Add tomato slices  and top with parmesan.  Carefully transfer pizza directly to center rack of oven.  Bake for 5 minutes and check.  Cheese should be melted and lightly brown when ready and bottom lightly crisped when ready. 




1 comment:

  1. Nancy, this looks beautiful. I'd love to have a slice. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete